Sunday, May 11, 2008

The Man Who Thinks He Can

Recent events in my life a few months back had me "cleaning out" my old room at my parents house. Inside my childhood room I found an inspirational poem tapped to the door, it was turning yellow and curling around the edges. I remembered this poem, it was given to me by my high school swim coach. I think he meant for it to give us as inspiration to win our races in swim meets. Although, this poem did more for me then to help me win swim meets, it has had an tremendous effect on me and my life. I have thought about this poem's message at various stages throughout my life and at times when I thought I had lost. This poem has helped me pull ahead and succeed! Even though this poem uses male pronouns I believe it applies to females as well, after all we were an all girls swim.

I wanted to share the poem with you, maybe it will inspire you as it did for me.


The Man Who Thinks He Can

If you think you are beaten, you are;
If you think you dare not, you don't.
If you'd like to win, but think you can't
It's almost a cinch you won't


If you think you'll lose, you're lost,
For out in the world we find
Success begins with a fellow's will;
It's all in the state of mind.


If you think you're outclassed, you are.
You've got to think high to rise.
You've got to be sure of yourself before
You can ever win a prize.


Life's battles don't always go
To the stronger or faster man;
But sooner or later the man who wins
Is the one who thinks he can.

-Walter D. Wintle

No comments: